[QGIS-Developer] Last call for switching to github issue tracker

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun Jan 14 03:11:01 PST 2018

On 14-01-18 00:17, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi All
>
>> [QGIS-Developer] Last call for switching to github issue tracker
>
> Given our history on the topic, I doubt very much this is true :-P
>
>> I know PSC is (was?) against it, but I feel the majority of devs (and
> new issue posters) are for it.
>
> Actually this is not true (correct me if I am wrong PSC): the PSC was
> against two things:
>
> 1) losing all history in issue manager. I think this is reasonable since
> there is a lot of very useful history in the issue tracker and it was
> felt that a 'clean slate start ‘ would be a disservice to all those who
> have raised issues in the past.
> 2) calling for a migration without a fully tested, fully fleshed out
> plan to manage the migration from start to finish. This means someone
> taking responsibility for the *whole* process which so far hasn’t been
> forthcoming.

That is exactly what it was in my memory too.

Mathias and Juergen both tried some of those migrating scripts OR
created something else. Hitting for example Github-thresholds for max nr
of requests etc, loosing comments and inner linking, had problems with
user mapping etc
Myself I also tried something, and besides this tried to invent some
tag-system to be a alternative for the 'categories' we have now
(https://github.com/rduivenvoorde/temp/issues/18).

Some conclusions (at that time):
- our Redmine version was (at that time) too old to be used for newer
migrate scripts
- Github was not very friendly for migrating our huge issue list
- Some dev's wanted to hold full history, while others were ok with
starting from 3/scratch
- Nobody took the time to further investigate, and people told us that
speed was the main issue on the old Redmine, so we upgraded Redmine AND
put it on a dedicated fast server now.

But I'm pretty sure that IF somebody takes lead and:
- migrates all our current issues with history and comments and users
- convinces all/most devs (it is not a PSC descision in my view)

That we can move to Github or Gitlab or Gitea

First step would be to try out one of those scripts, see if you get
those to work...
OR
convince people that we should start with an empty slate for 3.0...

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde