[QGIS-Developer] Last call for switching to github issue tracker

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at di.uminho.pt
Sun Jan 14 04:13:05 PST 2018

Hi all,

This move from redmine to gitlab (and from transifex to weblate) is not
a technological decision. It's a move towards a more open source
project, open to more people to participate and contribute.

If the argument against this move is "we don't want to lose anything
from the previous workflow" we will never move on. This is an easy
argument to keep the things as they are. It is an argument just based on
tools and technology. We should be more concerned about the community.
QGIS is the community. A dynamic and inclusive worldwide QGIS community
will keep an awesome QGIS application.

We need to decide if we prefer to loose something in favour of a much
more open source project. We all know to be "open source" is more than
release the sources. If it is difficult for users to report bugs, the
most basic thing in a open source project, the project is not so open.
Being an open source also means be dependent on other open source
projects. If there are things we can contribute to gitlab, to weblate,
etc, we will do it, as we already do with FOSS4G related projects.
Others are also dependent on QGIS and trust QGIS community to keep the
project up and running.

This is mostly a PSC decision. To be less or more open is a major
decision, related with principles. That is why PSC members don't have to
be developers, because this is not a technological decision.

If we want to move, we will move and there will be no technological
constraints we can't solve.

Regards,

Jorge Gustavo

J. Gustavo