[QGIS-Developer] Inconsistencies in QGIS ini path

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sun Aug 16 01:28:25 PDT 2020

Hi all

I have been busy migrating my machine from macOS to Linux / PopOS and I
noticed some strange behaviour with how paths for .ini files are stored
when restoring my QGIS settings folder from macOSy. I installed both a
flatpack version of QGIS (which gets you 3.14 on Pop) and the deb version
(gets you 3.10 on Pop). Here is where the various installations put the
.ini file:

PopOS Flatpack prefix:

~/.var/app/org.qgis.qgis/data

PopOS Flatpack ini:

<PREFIX>/QGIS/QGIS3/profiles/<PROFILE NAME>/*QGIS*/QGIS3.ini

PopOS Deb prefix:

~/.local/share/

PopOS deb ini:

<PREFIX>/QGIS/QGIS3/profiles/<PROFILE NAME>/*QGIS*/QGIS3.ini

macOS all in one DMG prefix:

~/Library/Application\ Support

macOS all in one DMG ini:

<PREFIX>/QGIS3/profiles/<PROFILE NAME>/*qgis.org <http://qgis.org>*/QGIS3.ini

It is a minor difference between QGIS and qgis.org for the ini directory
but it does mean that you cannot just copy profiles between machines and
users and they 'just work' Does anyone know why we use different paths on
different platforms?

BTW has anyone had any contact with the person making flatpack recipes? I
have some other flatpack install related issues to share...

Regards

Tim

Tim Sutton
 * Desktop GIS programming services