[QGIS-Developer] Blocking of SAGA & GRASS batch files by MS AppLocker

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 20:39:56 PDT 2020

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 at 03:09, Matthias Heckmann
<Matthias.Heckmann at gmx.net> wrote:

> Dear QGIS Developers,
>
> due to recent security measures of my organization, execution of
> programs (exe, bat, etc…) is only possible in a certified folder e.g.
> C:/Programs/...
>
> The SAGA integration in QGIS is based on the creation and execution of a
> temporal .bat file (“SAGA_batch_job.bat”) createt in
> %OSDRIVE%\USERNAME\AppData\QGIS\QGIS3\PROFILES\DEFAULT\PROCESSING\SAGA_BATCH_JOB.BAT
> calling SAGA from the command prompt with the individual parameters of
> the respective tool.
>
> Similarly GRASS uses a .bat file (Grass_Batch_job.cmd) for some tools
> and OTB and others also use executable files in folders outside the QGIS
> programm folder structure.
>
> These batch files/executable files get blocked by the Microsoft Windows
> AppLocker
> Is there a possibility to relocate these batch files within the
> C/Programs/QGIS3.xx/somewhere… folder to avoid blocking by infamous
> applocker? Certifcation and excemption of these files by my organisation
> is apparently not possible.

Unfortunately these batch files are created dynamically, with contents
which vary depending on how algorithm's parameters. Accordingly, they
HAVE to be placed somewhere which is user-writable, and can't be
placed in a location like c:\program files where administrative user
rights are required in order to modify files.

Perhaps you could ask your IT staff which user-writable folders would
be acceptable for them.

Nyall