[QGIS-Developer] Use GDAL ≥ 3.0.3 and PROJ ≥ 6.3.0 (Re: What GDAL and PROJ versions with 3.10.2?)

Raphael Das Gupta raphael.das.gupta at hsr.ch
Tue Jan 28 02:59:22 PST 2020

Hi Martin

On 20.01.20 11:45, pergler at gmail.com wrote:

> What GDAL and PROJ versions **should** one have with the normal-stream
> 3.10.2 release (i.e. not 3.4.X LTR nor weekly 3.11 build)?

I didn't know exactly, but from Mathieu's
<https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2019-December/059735.html>
and Kristian's messages here
<https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2019-December/059740.html>
on this list, I deduce that it should be at least PROJ 6.3 and from
Even's message
<https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2019-December/059748.html>
that GDAL/OGR should be at least 3.0.3 .

Currently, *PROJ 6.3.0* is the latest released version of PROJ
<https://proj.org/download.html#current-release> (as announced in
Kristian's message, it was released on 2020-01-01) and *GDAL/OGR 3.0.3*
(released on 2020-01-08) is currently the latest released version of
GDAL <https://gdal.org/download.html#current-releases>.

Thus, the only viable released versions available are:

  * PROJ 6.3.0
  * GDAL/OGR 3.0.3

On the master branch, these minimal versions are also enforced by the
build system thanks to PR 34038
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/34038>. This changes came after the
3.10.2 release, though, so aren't included in the source for that release.

For convenience and visibility, I think it'd be great if the blog post
"Public Service Announcement: Update to the latest point release now"
<http://blog.qgis.org/2020/01/24/public-service-announcement-update-to-the-latest-point-release-now/>
would be edited to also include these two lib version numbers.

Kind regards,
Raphael