[QGIS-Developer] What to do about GDAL and PROJ for 3.10.2?

Mathieu Pellerin nirvn.asia at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 18:37:33 PST 2019

Having helped out chasing down some of these CRS and transformation issues
under GDAL3/PROJ6, I too feel *very* uncomfortable shipping the next QGIS
point release with anything lesser than GDAL3 and PROJ6 master as of
yesterday.

To be clear, QGIS had plenty to fix itself, and that’s been taken care of
(thanks to QGIS’s PSC for financing Nyall here). But those fixes are half
of the story, and if we are to ship a QGIS version built against
GDAL3/PROJ6 that can be trusted to project and transform data properly, we
can’t do so unless we ship with the latest revisions of those libraries.

On the short term, since the next point release is in 24-ish hours, I’d
suggest to update the osgeo4w gdal and proj non-dev libraries to the latest
master revisions (with versions like proj6 version 6.3pre or something) and
have QGIS 3.10.2 built against those. Jürgen, since you’d carry that
library update burden, how do you feel about this solution?

Following that, we should discuss with GDAL and PROJ to see if they can
package an official release prior to QGIS’ next point release (which is to
take place on January 17, 2019 according to our schedule). Once that’s
done, we should consider raising QGIS’ minimum version requirement for
those libraries.

Math