[QGIS-Developer] What to do about GDAL and PROJ for 3.10.2?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 17:29:38 PST 2019

Hi list,

Just want to raise this discussion prior to the 3.10.2 patch release.
The situation as I see it is that there is absolutely critical fixes
in GDAL and PROJ master branches which are not available in any of the
GDAL/PROJ stable releases, all relating to CRS and transformation
handling.

Many of these fixes have been implemented as a direct result of bug
reports filed against QGIS when running under the Proj6/GDAL3
combination.

I personally do not feel comfortable with anyone running QGIS on
GDAL3/Proj6 without these fixes (in fact, I think that we should block
QGIS builds on GDAL/PROJ builds less than master, and greater than
PROJ 5/ GDAL 2 via cmake checks). So we're left in a difficult
position, because the next round of GDAL/PROJ releases aren't
happening anytime soon.

Thoughts welcome on how we should proceed here....

Nyall