[QGIS-Developer] webp for qgis server ?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Jun 9 04:47:50 PDT 2020

Hi Marco,

I agree. WebP would be interesting. It could potentially replace both
png and jpeg - if encoding and decoding is fast and if filesize can
compete. The good thing of WebP compared with JPEG is that it supports
transparency. According to your brief study, it seems to score well
regarding file size, but not so well performance wise - correct? The
performance that you measure - is this about time to create the files -
right? What about opening and rendering on the client? That's the other
side of the medal.

Does qt support WebP?

Regarding your blog post: can you perhaps better explain what PNG_JPEG
means? A PNG as a container with JPEG compression inside? Or what is it?

Regarding tif: could you share your creation parameters? In my
experience tiff performs much better than what you experience (both in
file size and speed) if you use proper compression and creation
parameters. E.g. you can use JPEG compression inside tiff and then you
should have more or less the same file size as with jpeg. tiff is just
the container, but there are thousand of combinations of creation
options that have a very, very significant impact on perfomance and file
size.

Thanks,

Andreas