[QGIS-Developer] File extension for GeoPackage with QGIS projects

Lior Kaplan lior at kaplanopensource.co.il
Thu Aug 26 04:01:49 PDT 2021

Hi,

When saving a project in a GPKG, the only way to open the project is by
project -> open from. Which works well, but is quite annoying.

But, it doesn't work when dragging the GPKG into QGIS as it would with
qgs/qgz. And if that GPKG has data layers in it, they wouldn't be opened -
so the user might miss quite easily that it is also a project layer.

Along the current feature requests to notify the user that the GPKG also
has a project layer and ask if he wants to open it?
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/30538
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/40252

I thought this approach might be relevant - Decide to use another extension
for those GPKG files -  allowing us to take a different course than regular
GPKG files (loading project, not data). Similar to qgs/qgz files.

The end goal here is that we can register a mime type or as extension for
QGIS, indicating it should load project layers instead of data layers
(which are probably referenced by the project).

What do you think about this option ?

p.s.
If someone wants to implement this, please reach out in private.
I might be able to allocate some funds to it.

+972-52-2235911
L: Lior Kaplan <https://www.linkedin.com/in/liorkaplan/>
T: @opensource_il <https://twitter.com/opensource_il>
F: @liorkaplanopensource <https://www.facebook.com/liorkaplanopensource>