[QGIS-Developer] Issue with future 3.22 LTR ? (a.k.a missing backports to 3.22)

Olivier Dalang olivier.dalang at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 06:29:20 PST 2021

Hi all !

There's something I don't completely understand with the current
branches/releases process and which to me looks like a major issue (came
across it while checking the status of a recently merged bugfix PR#45521
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/45521>).

That fix was merged to master with the `backport queued_ltr_backports`
label, but without `backport release-3_22`.

As far as I understand, this means it will be available in 3.24 (master)
and in 3.16 (after some quarantine), but not in 3.22. Still if I understand
correctly, 3.22 is our future LTR, meaning that LTR users will at some
point upgrade from 3.16 to 3.22. Does that mean that the bug they have seen
fixed in 3.16 will be reintroduced in 3.22 ?

The following filter shows many other PRs backported to 3.16 but not 3.22 :
is:pr label:"backport queued_ltr_backports" -label:"backport release-3_22"
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pulls?q=is%3Apr+label%3A%22backport+queued_ltr_backports%22+-label%3A%22backport+release-3_22%22>
(same
search should also be done with label `backport release-3_16`)

Shouldn't backporting to 3.16 always imply backporting to 3.22 ? Or am I
missing something ?

Cheers !

Olivier