[QGIS-Developer] Temporal controller issues

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 09:47:43 PST 2021

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 6:34 PM Cory Albrecht <maps at hanfastolfe.com> wrote:

> > Let's try to stay positive. NTC is still young, and rapidly evolving. It is hard to keep up with all (possible) use cases.
>
> I didn't say all possible use cases though. Basic tools—like identify, select, and the vertex editor—should not break when one adds a new feature as they are commonly used tools and easy enough to test during development. "Hey, I'm making a new feature that altes what is shown on the map canvas. I should do a few tests with common tools that a person uses on the visible items on the map canvas."
>
> My day job is that of a medical software developer and I have to think multiple steps ahead like that when working on a new feature branch or if I am reviewing somebody elses new branch before it gets merged with master. If I don't, I get poor performance reviews. When I file new bugs almost every day that I use QGIS about something else being broken by the NTC, can you understand how it looks to me like it was not up to snuff in the quality department before merging into master?

Hi Cory,

Unfortunately we are not a company and we don't have "departments" but
there is an ongoing effort to start a community driven QA team:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/180, it
looks very promising to prevent this kind of issue.

I understand your frustration, the usual recommendation is to use the
LTR version (currently 3.10) if you want stability, any other version
(especially master) is risky.

Kind regards.

> On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 6:17 AM Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 1/2/21 1:17 AM, Cory Albrecht wrote:
>> > Can somebody help me under the basics of how things work inside QGIS starting from when it loads all the features for a layer through the steps, and then finally drawing them on the map canvas, specifically with respect to the new temporal controller (NTC)?
>> >
>> > The issues caused by the NTC have been very frustrating for me as I make mostly (historical) timeline maps and I relied heavily on the old TimeManager (OTM) plugin by Antia Graser and group. So many tasks are now much more laborious or difficult because so many tools are just not time-aware.
>> >
>> > Was it not possible to add the NTC in such a way that would have still let all the other features work as before with the filtered feature set before being made time-aware, rather than confusingly operating on the unfiltered set? Or perhaps it shouldn't have been turned on until the infrastructure was there for the tools to be time-aware right away?
>> >
>> > Because I've just submitted yet another bug about the NTC, this time for the selection tool <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/40818>, and it has me more than a little annoyed. As a result of this bug I now have an unknown number of duplicate objects in multiple layers across multiple databases/projects that I unknowingly pasted into them over the past several months since the NTC was added to QGIS.
>> >
>> > I feel that the NTC was both poorly thought out and badly implemented as all these bugs would indicate.
>>
>> Hi Cory,
>>
>> Let's try to stay positive. NTC is still young, and rapidly evolving. It is hard to keep up with all (possible) use cases. In my case it was nice that the select tool DID return ALL features (as I needed it to create a graph in time of measurements in one point). So I proposed earlier (cannot find it now), to make this an option in the select tools: "use/not use Time Filter". But this all takes time ;-)
>>
>> In the meantime:
>> - you can maybe use "Delete duplicate geometries" [0] to remove the duplicates?
>> - if really in need of the old TimeManager, you can change the metadata.txt so OTM will still work in current master. In this line:
>> https://github.com/anitagraser/TimeManager/blob/master/metadata.txt#L7
>> change '3.12' to '3.18'
>> - if you need MemoryLayers to work (like I did), then you have to add another patch. Let me know if you need that.
>>
>> In the meantime: everybody involved in TimeBased data: let's discuss use-cases and make NTC better... in time...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Duivenvoorde
>>
>> [0] https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/133207/removing-overlapping-duplicate-polygons-in-same-layer-using-qgis/133221

Alessandro Pasotti