[QGIS-Developer] Temporal controller issues

Cory Albrecht maps at hanfastolfe.com
Sat Jan 2 12:45:50 PST 2021

> I understand your frustration,

Thank you.

> the usual recommendation is to use the
LTR version (currently 3.10) if you want stability, any other version
(especially master) is risky.

Using a version labelled as "release" shouldn't be risky, though. Calling
it a "release" implies that a level of testing has been done so that users
can trust that no existing functionality that was not changed has been
broken. A release is what you would give out to paying customers if this
were a for-profit company. You'd never give out a release version with a
new feature that broke so many other features to paying customers, would
you? No. You'd call that a "public beta" or "pre-release" or a "release
candidate" that you give them for free to help find those unexpected use
cases. (And I reiterate—long-standing internal tools like selection,
vertex editor, and identify features should not be "unexpected use cases".)

So if 3.16, referred to as a "release", is really a risky public beta that
you cannot trust to be stable, as you imply here that it is, might I
suggest that non-standard and therefore confusing terminology was adopted?