[QGIS-Developer] QGIS and privacy

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 01:33:09 PDT 2021

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 9:03 AM Thomas B <rdbath.regiodata at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am Mi., 24. März 2021 um 08:16 Uhr schrieb jrmorreale_ml at enoreth.net <jrmorreale_ml at enoreth.net>:
>>
>> Nop, the trickiest part is to have a configuration policy beyond the basic IT packaging.  I'm using these variables mainly to work with oracle and other in-house apps where things like the user_account_name are central, I would dread to have a week long fix event after our users would have (rightfully from their point of view) checked this box.
>

> Couldn't you use a Group Policy to set the  PYQGIS_STARTUP environment variable on every computer and then use a startup.py to make sure the settings are correct?
> I use this for other settings where I don't want the users to change them and this works fine as the startup.py is run at every start of QGIS.
>
> ( Speaking about corporate use of QGIS: it would be nice to have something like the Initialization scripts the QGIS-fork "Boundless Desktop" had: https://boundless-desktop.readthedocs.io/en/latest/system_admins/init_scripts.html
> but it also works with one startup.py file. )
>
> I am glad QGIS has the functionality to track who made the last changes to a project file but at the same time I can understand concerns about it.
> For me it would be a good compromise to inform new (non corporate) users with the configuration wizard and let them decide what they want. I can still use the startup.py to make sure the settings are correct.

Hi,

I am the author of the Boundless init scripts and I just wanted to
stress that the global settings ini files are another way to
pre-configure QGIS settings in a corporate environment.

See: https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/user_manual/introduction/qgis_configuration.html#globalsettingsfile

Kind regards

--
Alessandro Pasotti