[QGIS-Developer] Algorithms in python

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 05:26:30 PDT 2021

Hi devs,

recently I've made a PR to add an algorithm to the core, written in python:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/44680

from the comments I get that from now on additional algorithms are
accepted only in C++ and not in python anymore.

Is this an official statement?

My super personal opinion: while I perfectly understand devs position on
C++, I think we might miss some useful contributions from python only
devs (like me :) ) and we lack of a "straight" way to add useful
algorithms to QGIS.

I see 2 options:

* development of Processing plugins with algorithms that can lead to
many plugins and difficulties to find them
* have a "straight" way to add additional algorithms to QGIS, like the
"Download scripts from collections" of QGIS 2

What is a general opinion about this topic?

Cheers and thanks

Matteo