[QGIS-Developer] Algorithms in python

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 05:33:49 PDT 2021

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 2:26 PM matteo <matteo.ghetta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> recently I've made a PR to add an algorithm to the core, written in python:
>
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/44680
>
> from the comments I get that from now on additional algorithms are
> accepted only in C++ and not in python anymore.
>
> Is this an official statement?

Yes, kind of: many developers (myself included) agree to that.

> My super personal opinion: while I perfectly understand devs position on
> C++, I think we might miss some useful contributions from python only
> devs (like me :) ) and we lack of a "straight" way to add useful
> algorithms to QGIS.
>
> I see 2 options:
>
> * development of Processing plugins with algorithms that can lead to
> many plugins and difficulties to find them
> * have a "straight" way to add additional algorithms to QGIS, like the
> "Download scripts from collections" of QGIS 2
>
> What is a general opinion about this topic?

I don't know about "general" but we do have the resource sharing plugin
(not sure about the current status of it though) and a "standard" python
plugin would also allow us to distribute processing plugins.

Kind regards.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net