[QGIS-Developer] Interaction API?

andrea antonello andrea.antonello at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 05:38:33 PDT 2021

Hi Richard,

> I guess you mean QGIS Desktop, right? AFAIK the only option is to use its
> Python API, which requires all the PyQGIS <
> https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/index.html>
> and binary libs to be available inside the environment.
>
> Just curious: but would it be possible to 'attach' your script to a
> running/visible instance of QGIS?
>
> From:
> https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/intro.html#python-applications
>
> So: I start QGIS, and then from some python console (NOT the internal
> one), I can try to load (and show!) a shapefile in current mapcanvas? Or
> pan/zoom? That would be cool for demonstrations...

I have to apologize and give a little context. I teach geographic scripting
at a local university. Students come from the previous geomatics course
with Arc.
Since I have no intention to teach Arc scripting, I have been doing it for
several years now happily using a scripting environment based on Geoscript
Groovy [1].
So we are talking about a completely different programming language.
In the last year I have been able to pull some of them over to QGIS, but
the traction is low. So I was hoping to be able to attach to some APi to
load results into a running QGIS instance. That would be really cool,
surely convince them and I would have been able to develop the geoscript
part necessary to my environment.

In the meanwhile I read Gio's comment: "Another option could be run a
"micro server" inside a pyqgis plugin and serve an ad-hoc API from it :)"

Yes, that would have been my dream :-)

Thanks for your comments.

Andrea

[1] https://jericks.github.io/geoscript-groovy-cookbook