[QGIS-Developer] Interaction API?

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Fri Sep 10 07:21:35 PDT 2021

Hi Andrea,

could you make the groovy part write a file or to a database that you
have your students load as layer in QGIS and which will refresh from its
source automatically on map canvas interaction? That might be a hacky
but sufficient solution if I understand your goal correctly. If you
write to a WKT file for example and load that in QGIS in watch mode,
QGIS will automatically notice chances and refresh it without any
interaction necessary (at least on Linux)!

Otherwise it is very well be possible to implement a "pipe" into QGIS /
API for QGIS using various techniques (maybe even expose iface and some
nasty "exec"ing :D ). E. g. check out
https://github.com/gem/oq-irmt-qgis/tree/qgis3-socketserver which uses
websockets.

Cheers, Hannes

Am 10.09.21 um 14:38 schrieb andrea antonello:
> Hi Richard,
>
>     > I guess you mean QGIS Desktop, right? AFAIK the only option is
>     to use its Python API, which requires all the PyQGIS
>     <https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/index.html
>     <https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/index.html>>
>     and binary libs to be available inside the environment.
>
>     Just curious: but would it be possible to 'attach' your script to
>     a running/visible instance of QGIS?
>
>     From:
>     https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/intro.html#python-applications
>     <https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/intro.html#python-applications>
>
>     So: I start QGIS, and then from some python console (NOT the
>     internal one), I can try to load (and show!) a shapefile in
>     current mapcanvas? Or pan/zoom? That would be cool for
>     demonstrations...
>

> I have to apologize and give a little context. I teach geographic
> scripting at a local university. Students come from the previous
> geomatics course with Arc.
> Since I have no intention to teach Arc scripting, I have been doing it
> for several years now happily using a scripting environment based on
> Geoscript Groovy [1].
> So we are talking about a completely different programming language.
> In the last year I have been able to pull some of them over to QGIS,
> but the traction is low. So I was hoping to be able to attach to some
> APi to load results into a running QGIS instance. That would be really
> cool, surely convince them and I would have been able to develop the
> geoscript part necessary to my environment.
>
> In the meanwhile I read Gio's comment: "Another option could be run a
> "micro server" inside a pyqgis plugin and serve an ad-hoc API from it :)"
>
> Yes, that would have been my dream :-)
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> Andrea
>

> [1] https://jericks.github.io/geoscript-groovy-cookbook
> <https://jericks.github.io/geoscript-groovy-cookbook>
>

>     Regards,
>
>     Richard Duivenvoorde

Johannes Kröger / GIS-Entwickler/-Berater
WhereGroup GmbH
Eifelstraße 7
53119 Bonn
Germany

Fon: +49 (0)228 / 90 90 38 - 36
Fax: +49 (0)228 / 90 90 38 - 11

johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
www.wheregroup.com
Geschäftsführer:
Olaf Knopp, Peter Stamm
Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 9885

  Aufwind durch Wissen!
  Jetzt neu: Web-Seminare und Online-Schulungen
  bei der www.foss-academy.com