[QGIS-Developer] Compile QGIS in docker

David Marteau dmarteau at 3liz.com
Sat Oct 22 08:54:19 PDT 2022

Hi,

I use and compile Qgis desktop and server on Docker on a daily basis.

Docker on Windows or Osx relies on linux vm, so basically, you should do
- almost - anything that
you can do on Linux but  my expérience has taught me that the processe
is much smoother on Linux.

However, as Richard said, WSL on Windows works rather well with Docker
and should provide you wih real linux
experience

About qgis ready to use docker image you may find several up to date
flavors:

- https://hub.docker.com/r/qgis/qgis
- https://hub.docker.com/r/3liz/qgis-platform (no desktop - server only)

If your goal is to compile Qgis, you should go with multi-stage building
process
and I can tell more about this if you want.

You will find ready made images with build dependencies:
https://hub.docker.com/r/qgis/qgis3-build-deps

Or some recipies for achieving this on latest Debian/Ubuntu:
https://github.com/3liz/docker-qgis-build

Regards,
David