[QGIS-Developer] Slow downloads for LTR MSI

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sun Sep 4 16:36:43 PDT 2022

Hi

IIRC, Richard's explanation as to why we turned off the CDN is that it was
trying to grab all the download archives each time it did a cache request
and it was blowing our server out of the water. So the plan is to split the
latest downloads and the archives to separate hosts / domains / sites such
that the CDN conly caches the latest builds....

Regards

Tim

On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 1:49 AM Nathan Woodrow via QGIS-Developer <
qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Well I am downloading from Australia but not sure what mirror it is using
> as I'm just grabbing the LTR off the site, even the osgeo4w installer is
> very slow.  But everytime I do the download speeds are very very poor.  At
> times it is down to 14kb/s.  I don't remember having this issue in the past
> but others have said it has been bad for a long while now.
>
> I thought we had a CDN in front of this in order to help distribution?
>
> It seems to be quite a problem here.  We have had multi people report it
> as a issue and it doesn't look good.
>
> I'm happy to have a look at whatever we need to do in order fo speed it
> up.   If we need a CDN I can talk to work about using our AWS setup with
> CloudFront to get much better speeds and see if we will cover it.
>
> I don't know how much out going data it would be but CloudFront is cheap
> if we put the downloads into S3 and serve it from there.
>
> Regards
> Nathan
>
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2022, 6:19 pm Jürgen E. Fischer via QGIS-Developer, <
> qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, 20. Jul 2022 at 09:44:26 +1000, Nathan Woodrow via QGIS-Developer
>> wrote:
>> > I seem to be getting really slow downloads of the MSI packages (haven't
>> > tested any other packages at the moment) from the main download page.
>>
>> It's redirected to several hosts - independant of the origin address.  So
>> you
>> might get better results just by retrying.  Where did you actually
>> download
>> from?  US (download.osgeo.org, ftp.osuosl.org; Oregon State, US) or
>> Europe
>> (qgis.org, norbit.de; both at Hetzner in Germany)?
>>

>> Jürgen
>>
>> --
>> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel.
>> +49-4931-918175-31
>> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax.
>> +49-4931-918175-50
>> Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden
>> https://www.norbit.de
>> QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                 IRC: jef on
>> Libera|OFTC

​

Tim Sutton
 * Desktop GIS programming services