[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Edit Menu detect selection

Catania, Luke A ERDC-RDE-GRL-VA CIV Luke.A.Catania at erdc.dren.mil
Mon Apr 24 20:23:31 PDT 2023

Is there a way to detect the selection of the edit menu?  I have a eventFilter on the map canvas that works great with a rectangle.  It detects the left mouse press to get the start point and as the mouse is moved, it calculates the area of the rectangle and if within a certain range will complete the polygons shape and save to the layer when the user right clicks on the map canvas.

I want the user to be able to draw other shapes allowed such as multisided polygons, circles, etc, so I want to be able to calculate the area of those shapes.  In order to do that I nee to detect what the user selected in the edit menu.