[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3D and Graphics Card Requirements

Jean Felder jean.felder at oslandia.com
Thu Sep 21 00:28:07 PDT 2023

Hi Luke,

The higher end card should indeed give you better performance.

However, there is a hard coded limit in QGIS 3D at the moment. A 3D
scene cannot load more than 500 Mo of 3D objects even if you video card
has a lot of available memory when the 3D scene is created.
The idea is to avoid out of memory crashes or GPU hangs. For example, a
lot a 3D scenes could be loaded or other program may consume some gpu ram.

Benoît de Mezzo and I have been trying to remove this limit but the code
is not ready yet.

Cheers,

Jean