[Qgis-psc] Fwd: proposal for a QGIS documentation web infrastructure development sprint @ 7th QGIS Developer Meeting in Lyon 2012

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Mar 21 03:26:42 PDT 2012

Hi

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Paolo Corti <pcorti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
>>
>> I just want to qualify my previous statement a little better: "I'd be
>> happy to +1 that assuming we have the funds. I have two comments on
>> the notes above:"
>>
>> In the past we had a rule that you must be a committer / contributor
>> to obtain funding to attend the HF.  I would be happy to have Paolo C
>> there and making his contribution but we just need to be mindful of
>> the fact that we for example declined funding to Anne on a previous
>> occasion because she didnt meet this 'must be a committer' criteria.
>> In the light of the fact that we have a little more financial
>> resources floating around maybe we can loosed this rule to include non
>> established developers to be funded, but maybe we need to do it a
>> little more transparently e.g. a call for funding requests and then
>> some kind of evaluation process of who we will fund based on their
>> contribution and funding requirements?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tim
>
> Hello Tim, hello QGIS PSC
>
> I couldn't agree more with your reasons ;)
> I understand that there are important project guidelines to follow,
> and when I have been initially discussing with Paolo regarding this
> possibility (joining the developer meeting for the purpose of creating
> the infrastructure in the subject) I had no idea that this could be a
> bit complicated because of these constraints.

Please note, I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't sponsor you, just
that we should make the decision in a way that is fair.

> One option to go could be that I still could work on this stuff
> without being in Lyon but remotely. Would it suit?

Yes that would be fine too, but first lets do a call for sponsorship
requests and see if we can afford to bring you there based on what
other applications are received. I think the format of providing a
simple work plan like you have done is a very workable way to evaluate
whether we accept or refuse peoples applications (and of course from
Paolo Cavallini's side, what the budget constraints are).

> Thanks again and sorry for bother about it ;)

No bother at all - I look forward to your work and hopefully meeting
you at the hackfest.

> Paolo Corti
> Geospatial software developer
> web: http://www.paolocorti.net