[Qgis-psc] Survey results

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Fri Oct 16 01:21:03 PDT 2015

Hi

> On 16 Oct 2015, at 09:37, Neumann, Andreas <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a couple of questions what we will do with the results? ( https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1G6p3QFUJBfxv3ySnryDRGMmF-e7PHWUOwrGo9OH2Yog/viewanalytics <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1G6p3QFUJBfxv3ySnryDRGMmF-e7PHWUOwrGo9OH2Yog/viewanalytics> )
>
> Will we publish the results to the public after a couple of days? I would hope we do! Also in order to demonstrate that we are transparent …

I was planning to write a blog article (we could do this collaboratively) that describes the key take home messages from the survey.

> The versions in other languages (french, portuguese, spanish) - are they separate and will have to be merged later on?

I think we can merge some parts - and also look at how things differ by language group if that is interesting. I would only merge for the summary report and leave them running independently.

> How do we deal with the comments? Will we classify them into categories like:
>
> - problems with stability
> - release less often
> - GUI nees overhaul
> - too slow
> - needs 3d
> - needs better Cartography
> - needs better print composer
> etc.?
>
> and see how many there are per category?

Yeah - that would be good. There are also some very good suggestions / thoughts in there that we could pick out and look at.

> For some comments it clearly seems that some users are quite misinformed or maybe judge QGIS based on their use of quite old versions ... or simply aren't aware of our existing functionality.

Yup some of the results indicate where we need to do more marketing of key project ideas e.g. LTRs for one.

> I also saw in the results that Google doesn't like if you change options during a running survey. When team changed the wording around LTR (long term release), the results are now bogus. Tim will have to go into the spreadsheet and change the old wording to the new wording to get meaningful results.
>
> Probably the same renaming will have to be done when we merge the other languages.

Yeah its not idea to change it while the survey is running - I will go and do some clean up over the weekend.

> Other than that it is impressive

Yes - very interesting and invigorating - and a lot less noisy that cyclical discussions on the mailing lists. I think we can use this approach in the future to drill into more specific areas of the project (in the process learning from this survey e.g. having multilingual surveys ready from the start).