[Qgis-psc] Please review - draft email calling for QGIS Community Voting Member Nominations.

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Wed May 4 05:19:29 PDT 2016

Hi

> On 04 May 2016, at 14:11, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>

> On 05/04/2016 02:03 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>>> On 04 May 2016, at 12:21, Anita Graser < <mailto:anitagraser at gmx.at>anitagraser at gmx.at <mailto:anitagraser at gmx.at>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are the voting members selected for one year terms?
>>>

>> No they are non-expiring (like OSGEO Charter members I guess) or until they withdraw their membership.
>>
>>> Do they have to be present at the annual general meeting?
>>>

>> No, we will do the votes virtually (probably loomio with a closed group of voters) and use 50% + 1 as the basis for quorum. At the AGM we will present the results of the votes but not do any actual voting in the meeting.
>>
>> Again I should add the above is our proposed way of doing things - let us know if that does not sit well with you.
>
> Looking at the current state of the QGIS source code, I notice that a lot of people who have been involved in the early days of QGIS disappeared while new ones appeared. I guess in other areas of the project it's the same.
>
> Re-elections every year seems a lot, but maybe confirm voting members in their position every 3 years to compensate for the natural change in the community would be a good thing?

I don’t have a problem to do that. One thing Andreas and I were thinking was to keep things as simple as possible to start and progressively refine our statutes as time goes by. Even in the current state we need to register each statute change as the verrein is already registered, so it will be better to group a whole bunch of changes e.g. over the next year, and then make one single change rather than make lots of small changes. Can I suggest for now you just add comments in the statutes doc of things you would like to see added / changed and then we review them once the board is properly up and running?