[Qgis-user] symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libqgisgrass.so.1.2.0: undefined symbol: G_no_gisinit

Agustin Lobo alobolistas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 09:45:54 PDT 2009

Are you using qgis 1.2.01 on ubuntu jaunty? Are you using the grass plugin?
If yes, could you check if you have libgdal1-1.5.0-grass and/or
libgdal1-1.6.0-grass ?
I think that the problem is there because:

1. If I install qgis 1.2.01 having the

http://ppa.launchpad.net/qgis/unstable/ubuntu
as the repository (and not http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu)

I get the same problem as stated in my previous message.

I've realized that the grass plugin installs
libgdal1-1.5.0-grass
despite the fact that I do have
libgdal1-1.6.0-grass

2. If I uninstal the grass plugin but keep both libgdal1-1.*, I can
start qgis
but get the following messages in the console:

~$ qgis
ERROR 1: libgrass_I.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
ERROR 1: libgrass_I.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
Python support ENABLED :-)
Loaded : fTools (package: fTools)
ERROR 1: libgrass_I.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
ERROR 1: libgrass_I.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/osgeo/gdal.py:81: DeprecationWarning:
gdal.py was placed in a namespace, it is now available as osgeo.gdal
  DeprecationWarning)
etc

3. If I remove libgdal1-1.5.0-grass, qgis starts up and I just get the
following in the console:
/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/osgeo/gdal.py:81: DeprecationWarning:
gdal.py was placed in a namespace, it is now available as osgeo.gdal
  DeprecationWarning)

The problem is that I do need the grass plugin now. I suspect that
removing libgdal1-1.6.0-grass
would let me install the grass plugin with no problems, but I'm using
libgdal1-1.6.0-grass for
ecw support...

Agus