[Qgis-user] python-qgis pkg for Ubuntu 8.04

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Thu Sep 24 11:59:28 PDT 2009

This is aimed for Ubuntu package maintainers mostly.

I think there's a small typo in one of the python scripts in the
python_installer plugin that trips up installation of python-qgis and
python-qgis-common.
I was getting errors when running apt-get update with both the regular
ubuntu repository and with ubuntugis. The error was:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-qgis-common:
 python-qgis-common depends on python-qgis (>= 1.3.0-1~hardy3); however:
  Package python-qgis is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing python-qgis-common (--configure):
 python-qgis-common

Note that this error was somewhat bogus since the package *was*
installed, and the python installer and other python plugins all seemed
to work fine!

Anyway:
Running dpkg --configure python-qgi python-qgis-common, I saw this:
micha at RMS:~$ sudo dpkg --configure python-qgis-common python-qgis
Setting up python-qgis (1.3.0-1~hardy3) ...

Setting up python-qgis-common (1.3.0-1~hardy3) ...
Compiling
/usr/share/qgis/python/plugins/plugin_installer/ui_qgsplugininstallerbase.py
  File
"/usr/share/qgis/python/plugins/plugin_installer/ui_qgsplugininstallerbase.py",
line 16
    QgsPluginInstallerDialogBase.setWindowIcon(QtGui.QIcon("
                                                           ^
SyntaxError: EOL while scanning single-quoted string

pycentral: pycentral pkginstall: error byte-compiling files (88)
pycentral pkginstall: error byte-compiling files (88)

I then opened the file ui_qgsplugininstallerbase.py and deleted the
newline after QtGui.QIcon("
so the new line looks like:
 QgsPluginInstallerDialogBase.setWindowIcon(QtGui.QIcon(""))

Then I could run dpkg --configure successfully.

Regards,
Micha