[Qgis-user] Re: Join Attributes - no Shapefile createt (QGIS 1.4)

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Wed Mar 10 10:10:35 PST 2010

> Tested with attached shapefile and dbf file, however, I suspect it has
> something to do with the encoding of your shapefile (how was it
> created?), because while this file does not work, other shapefiles
> (using for example UTF-8) work fine, including other shapefiles joined
> with your dbf file.
> Can you provide any further details?
> Carson

Hi Claas and the others,
this shapefile was created by me (nice surprise to find it as an issue
here ;) )
I digitized it from a WMS-Layer with QGIS 1.4 OSGEO4W-Installation on XP
in UTF-8 with the first 3 table columns.
The other data columns were added in OpenOffice Calc and several
corrections of the dbf were made in Calc as well. Can this be the reason?
Did do this more often and haven't had problems before.
Is there sth particular stored within the shape file itself about the
database structure that is now leading to the malfunction? (No idea about
the inner anatomy of shapes)

If this is not the case, could it be then some kind of data corruption
caused by compressing for sending by email? (just a wild guess)

Bernd