[Qgis-user] Updated GdalTools

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun May 16 13:07:40 PDT 2010

On May 16, 2010, at 2:41 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> On Sun, 16 May 2010 13:38:04 -0500, William Kyngesburye
> <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
>> I didn't request it directly (just a general request of plugin
> developers),
>> but did you add a configuration option to set the path to the GDAL
>> programs?  Applications (ie QGIS) on OS X don't get anything from the
> shell
>> environment, like the PATH, and so won't find the GDAL programs in the
> GDAL
>> framework (and on older systems for those that compile a non-framework
>> GDAL, /usr/local/bin is not in the default PATH).
>>
>> There is a hidden mechanism to add environment variables to applications,
>> but most OSX users won't know about it, and there is no built-in way to
>> configure it (just a 3rd-party pref pane).
>
> Hi William.
> I recently realized this, during one of our courses. I would be happy of
> fixing this, but I haven't a clue on how to do so. If you can send us a
> patch (or suggest us a method), we'll be glad of applying it.
> All the best.

Just a general idea on the programming side.  I'd say, by default, do nothing (as it is).  For the user to set it, use a folder selection dialog to select the folder.  Add the var (PATH) + value to the environment (make sure to add to PATH if already set).  I don't know if it's something that you would want to set once when Qgis starts (could interfere with other plugins in a complex environment?) or each time one of the plugin commands are used (and unset when done).

Can plugins have preferences that can be configured in the Qgis preferences dialog or do they have to roll their own (you'd have to figure that out then)?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy