[Qgis-user] QGIS slower on new, faster Linux machine

O mondifero at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 11:47:13 PDT 2011

An update:

The problem seems to be with a single very long line layer (not sure how
many points: I have not yet sorted out how to count them).   When I zoom
out to see the whole line, one of my eight cores reaches 100% and memory
is nowhere close to being full, and QGIS grinds to a halt.

I have had nothing like this kind of trouble in the past running QGIS on
far less sophisticated hardware, although in all cases under Ubuntu or
Wubi-installed Ubuntu rather than Debian, and on machines with NVIDIA
cards. Contrary to what I said before, those machines had *less* VRAM
than I have now (I have 1GB VRAM), and I doubt if VRAM has anything
at all to do with issues of this kind.

I am running QGIS 1.7.0.

Any advice would be most welcome.