[Qgis-user] Re: Enhanced labels in 1.7.0

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Mar 25 09:24:17 PDT 2011

 Well - it has been discussed that - in case of point files - the
 geometry column could replace the x/y columns. But one would have to
 "special-case" point files, because the same dialogue also works for
 linestring and polygon data - where you really need the separate x/y
 columns.

 In your case - could you solve it with a database view? just link the
 x/y coordinate column to the point-geometry - this is what I do with
 Swiss cadastral data.

 It is the intention to remove the old labeling in QGIS 1.8 - so please
 report all problems in trac, so they can be addressed.

 Andreas

 On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:27:33 -0000, Andrew Chapman wrote:
> Andreas,
> Thanks for your suggestion - yes, attribute table references are
> needed for
> label distance, X & Y coordinates before the horizontal & vertical
> alignment
> fields and rotation are enabled. Pointing all of these to a dummy
> (null)
> attribute enables the rotation dropdown list, but selecting an
> attribute
> value for rotation (the same as in the old dialog) gives no rotation.
> On the assumption that I've not made any further incorrect
> assumptions and
> this functionality is as intended, I'll have to stick with the old
> labels -
> in the UK Ordnance Survey data that I use, labels are identified in
> point
> files with an rotation.
>
> Andrew

 Andreas Neumann