[Qgis-user] RE: Enhanced labels in 1.7.0

Andrew Chapman andrew.chapman at donkagen.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 15:04:28 PDT 2011

The background to these questions is that from 1st April 2011, the UK's
Ordnance Survey is introducing a major change to its licensing that will
make the majority of its GIS data freely available to most UK local
government users including about 10,000 parish councils. Most will not have
a GIS background or the budget for commercial software, so I'm trying to
create a simple "How To" guide to get them up and running with QGIS...
before they decide it is just too much effort and give up. I've no idea what
the total uptake could be, but I think that it is worth some effort.
This new licence also seems to apply to all UK schools, so there too is a
further similar sized potential user base.
Setting up a new installation, loading and styling GML data and working with
simple shapefiles would seem a lot for an absolute beginner. Telling them
that they also need to set up a database before they can even view a map
that looks like those on the OS website is, I feel, pushing beyond what is
realistic.

Andrew