[Qgis-user] Questions on CSV plugin & UTF8, or dbf to spatial.

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Oct 25 05:29:55 PDT 2011

On 2011-10-25 14:19, Koos Hagg wrote:
> I did see the XY tools plugin by Richard Duivenvoorde, but I think it's
> the wrong way around for this case, seems to me that it is designed for
> digitizing from the canvas, to fill x,y columns, instead of take xy
> columns and plot them...

Hi Koos,

if you have a dbf with the values in all columns, you could use the
XYtools plugin ... I think.
The XYtools actually has two functions: one is indeed to fill an X and Y
column of a csv or dbf file by clicking in a map.
But it also has an option to save that dbf file then as a shape file by
picking two columns as x and y column.

So please have a go: open your dbf in qgis, and then via 'Plugins/XY
tools/Save table as Point shape file' try to save it.
Not sure if it is utf-8 ready to be honest...

If you want, please sent me off list the dbf, then I can use that as a
test also :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde