Re: [Qgis-user] QGIS 1.7 Wrocław_problem copying entities after Joins

Stanca Lazarescu stanca.lazarescu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 07:28:35 PDT 2011

Thanks Ramon for your answer. I tryed to save the layer as a shp but it
didn't work since the name of the colomns of the joined table were at times
too long to be accepted by the shp (10 characters maximum).

I finally managed to figured it out, the problem being nothing but the
edition mode. In order to copy the selection, the vector layer mustn't be in
the edition mode, because the joined table is supposed to permit no
alteration. It was as simple as that. Edition off and the selection and copy
into a spreadsheet is possible.

Cheers
Stanca

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Ramon Andiñach <custard at westnet.com.au>wrote:

> Sorry that was clumsy.
>
> Could you not save the join as a csv or a shape file and then open that up
> in excel?
>
> So for the join I usually do, I only want parts of the join, so I select
> the bits I want and use "save selection as" to save that out. Usually I save
> that as a shp file, but even then the dbf can still be opened in excel.
>
> Admittedly I'm not using postgis, so there might be a postgis thing...
>
> -ramon.
>
> On 13/09/2011, at 20:10, "s.lazarescu" <stanca.lazarescu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I'm using the latest version of QGIS, happy to be able to use the 'joins'
> > function. However, I'm stuck trying to exploit the information in an
> excel
> > after having joined two layers. Here's the whole story:
> >
> > I have a vector layer (PostGis) representing geolocated enteprises of a
> > region in France. To this vector layer I joined a geometryless table
> > (PostGis) in order to enrich the information of the former layer (primary
> > key of the two layers = the SIRET code indicating the activity field of
> the
> > enterprises).
> >
> > After having joined the two layers, what I need to do is select certain
> > entities and try to copy them in an excel table for further statistical
> > anylisis. The problem is that, no matter what the character enconding,
> only
> > the information from the mother vector layer is copied, while all the
> joined
> > colomns remain empty.
> >

> > Thanks a lot for helping
> >
> > Stanca