[Qgis-user] Importing Open Street Map files

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Sep 24 22:06:51 PDT 2011

On 09/24/2011 09:55 PM, Mick wrote:
> I need to import several Open Street Map .osm files in such a way that
> I get a separate column for each and every tag in the files.
>
> I have tried various tweaks to the XML source without success.
>
> I had a go at creating a mysql database but ended up with a mess due to
> my limited knowledge.
>
> I looked at using postgress but can't get anywhere with it.
>
> I even looked at the source code for the OSM import plugin but python is
> too different to C for me to make sense of.
>
> I'm getting prematurely old and don't absorb knowledge as easily as I
> once could.
>
> Could some kind soul point me to crib sheets, how-tos, tools or other
> guidance to get me going.
>
> The tools I have available are ArchLinux with QGIS 1.7, mysql,
> postgress, grass & MapInfo 7.8.
>
> The area I'm interested in covers Cornwall, Devon & Dorset north to the
> top of the Cottswolds.
>
> mick

You probably want to use postgres/postgis and one of the many special
import tools to bring in osm data (spatialite might be a simpler options
but fewer tools exist).

The OpenStreetMap wiki is the treasure trove of details. Looking around
this might be what you want
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm2postgresql

Enjoy,
Alex