[Qgis-user] Can't get printed or plotted output

Chris kierst cjkierst at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 11:52:35 PDT 2011

Hi people!

Qgis newbie here, though I'm an experienced GIS user (ArcGIS), but not a guru, just a geologist.  I created a map in Qgis and also three Print Composer instances.  I set up one as a plotter file (Print Composer #1, 42" X 60") and another as a PDF (Print Composer #3, "print as raster" checked) after failing to get a completely plotted map document.  The plotter output has a large area of empty paper in the middle as well as two narrow bands of empty space, all surrounded by the incomplete map.  When I try the PDF workaround to simply get usable output that I can send to the plotter, I get an incomplete PDF document and a message "Exception - bad allocation").    Anyone have any suggestions?  Not sure if this is a plotter problem, a Qgis garbage-in problem or ???

1. Is there an organized Qgis printer/plotter troubleshooting forum that I can look at for some tips?
2. Is there an organized procedure that I must follow to ensure getting good output that I'm missing?