[Qgis-user] Symbology: switch off automatic classification

Tammo Jan Dijkema dijkema at Hypercube.nl
Thu Aug 16 00:21:56 PDT 2012

I'm using qgis 1.8 to create graduated maps of multiple data columns. For this, I use the new symbology implementation, with graduated colors. I would like to use one classification for all columns. Usually based on Jenks, and tweaked manually.

In qgis 1.8, when changing the column which is used for the classification, the classification is recomputed automatically. This is inconvenient, because now I have to enter the ranges for the classification for each map I want to make. I expected the classification to only be recomputed when I press the button 'Classify'.

The workaround I have found is to create my classification, then switch to old symbology, which retains the classifcation when I change the column.

Is this a bug or a feature? And if it's a feature, how can I switch it offf?

Thanks for your reply.

Tammo Jan Dijkema