[Qgis-user] Convert spreadsheet (excel) to vector (shape) of Points

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Jul 24 19:59:50 PDT 2012

Hi Eduardo

I'm not sure if exporting your data as it is to CSV will work. I think you'll need to create columns with lat & long values as decimal degrees to read it in as delimited text with QGIS.

Given lon_d (a), lon_m (b) & lon_s (c) columns in your spreadsheet you can generate a longitude column via a formula in a new column, (assuming all your values are positive) something like this in cell D1:
=(A1+(B1+(C1/60))/60)

repeat for latitudes, then export as CSV as suggested. If your values are character strings with non-numeric strings (like ' for minutes), it is a bit trickier, but you could use the SUBSTITUTE() function to trim the unwanted character so you have a number to use, like:

 =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"º","",1)+((SUBSTITUTE(B1,"'","")+(SUBSTITUTE(C1,"'","")/60))/60)

Hope this helps,

  Brent Wood