[Qgis-user] Label Rotation

Jonathan Moules jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Mon Oct 8 03:37:55 PDT 2012

This seems to be a common problem with GIS labelling engines. They always
assume you want the text the right way up even if its supposed to rotated
the "wrong" way up. MapInfo does this, as does ArcGIS - The Maplex engine
for ArcGIS does have an option allowing you over-ride this (disanled by
default), but as best I can tell, short of using Maplex, none of these
three packages allows you to override this "feature" .

Jonathan

On 5 October 2012 21:58, Piotr Pachół <piotrpachol at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am facing with the same problem.
> All labels with angle from 90 to 269 degrees are drawn in improper way.
>
> Additionaly there are other problems during labelling:
> 1. it is necessary to to indicate coordinates x and y when you want to
> rotate label. It shouldn't be necessary for point objects - then insert
> point of label is as default insert point of object.
> 2. When using rotating labels icon  - location of mouse indicator is not
> always situated on line of rotation arrow. It is therefore difficult to
> insert a label which should be for instance parallel to another object.
>
> Regards,
> Piotr
>
> W dniu 2012-10-04 17:54, Bernhard Ströbl pisze:
>
> Dear list,
>>
>> I am trying to get lables facing upside down with no avail. QGIS always
>> turns them around. So the label is drawn identically when entering 0 or 180
>> degrees.
>> Is there any setting that forces QGIS to act like that? If this is the
>> default behaviour I would conider it a bug and report it.
>> I am using QGIS master with the new labelling engine.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Bernhard

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,  including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.