[Qgis-user] Label Rotation

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Mon Oct 8 04:15:08 PDT 2012

Hi Piotr and Jonathan,

thank you for your answers. I filed a ticket:
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/6482

Some comments below.

Am 08.10.2012 12:37, schrieb Jonathan Moules:
 > This seems to be a common problem with GIS labelling engines. They
 > always assume you want the text the right way up even if its supposed to
 > rotated the "wrong" way up. MapInfo does this, as does ArcGIS - The
 > Maplex engine for ArcGIS does have an option allowing you over-ride this
 > (disanled by default), but as best I can tell, short of using Maplex,
 > none of these three packages allows you to override this "feature" .
 > Jonathan

so it would be good to have it in QGIS then :-)

 > On 5 October 2012 21:58, Piotr Pachół <piotrpachol at gmail.com
 > <mailto:piotrpachol at gmail.com>> wrote:
 >
 >     Hello,
 >     I am facing with the same problem.
 >     All labels with angle from 90 to 269 degrees are drawn in
improper way.

 >     Additionaly there are other problems during labelling:
 >     1. it is necessary to to indicate coordinates x and y when you want
 >     to rotate label. It shouldn't be necessary for point objects - then
 >     insert point of label is as default insert point of object.

current master has an option to set an angle independent of defining x
and y fields

 >     2. When using rotating labels icon  - location of mouse indicator is
 >     not always situated on line of rotation arrow. It is therefore
 >     difficult to insert a label which should be for instance parallel to
 >     another object.
 >
 >     Regards,
 >     Piotr
 >
 >     W dniu 2012-10-04 17:54, Bernhard Ströbl pisze:
 >
 >         Dear list,
 >
 >         I am trying to get lables facing upside down with no avail. QGIS
 >         always turns them around. So the label is drawn identically when
 >         entering 0 or 180 degrees.
 >         Is there any setting that forces QGIS to act like that? If this
 >         is the default behaviour I would conider it a bug and report it.
 >         I am using QGIS master with the new labelling engine.
 >
 >         regards
 >
 >         Bernhard

Bernhard

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 7558 (20121008) __________