[Qgis-user] Proposal for QGIS-related blog

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Fri Oct 26 11:05:10 PDT 2012

Hi

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Victor Olaya <volayaf at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For the main part of your proposal, are you thinking of something in the
>> manner of www.r-bloggers.com? It's a really useful resource, with enough
>> posts from enough varied sources to be really worth following.
>> qgis.org/planet/ could fit the bill - with more content from more sites.
>
> Well, that is a rather big thing! I am not thinking of an aggregator,
> but more like a blog written by several people, with a common standard
> of quality and a common subject (In my case, as I said, i would like
> to incude tips&trick for QGIS, not just any QGIS-related news)
>
> I see it more like a book of chapters with different authors and an
> editor (in this case all contributors would be editors, but there will
> be some reviewing or some guidelines, etc)
>
> Spanish readers might be familiar with the amazings.es blog, which is
> the reference blog in terms of science in Spain, and which is written
> by a group of science bloggers that collaborate on this while they
> also write their own blogs. I was thinking about something like
> that...
>
> Thanks for the interest

Sorry for th elate reply to this thread. We actually used to have
blog.qgis.org where developers could (and did) write blog posts too.
Its now defunct because we found it easier to write to our own blogs
and use the aggregator. Personally I would like to strongly encourage
to put any tutorial style articles into our QGIS-Documentation project
as there are a number of advantages:

- the articles can form part of formal training materials
- the content can be maintained and updated to reflect new versions of
QGIS/SEXTANTE
- it will automatically become part of the translation framework
- the information can become part of context help within QGIS in the future

Of course this does not work well for casual 'ah look at this cool
thing I did today' type posts, but it is really good for any more
systematic documentation and tutorial materials.

Regards

Tim

> Regards
>

>> Seems like the QGIS wiki needs serious editorial leadership and editing (and
>> probably some search-engine optimisation) more than anything else; I
>> personally find it horrible to use the Redmine system, too. Maybe that's the
>> best place to focus efforts?
>>

>> --

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services