[Qgis-user] QGis for bird surveys

Michael Harte mharte at ozemail.com.au
Thu Apr 4 07:10:07 PDT 2013

Sarah,

To expand on what Rudi, Goyo, and Andreas have suggested with regard to
converting data stored in spreadsheets and or text files to shapefiles I
follow a work flow like:

    1. Install "XY tools" using the Plug-in Manager (in menu - Plugins... Fetch Plug-ins... type xy in filter... XyTools 0.3.2... install);
    2. After installation XY tools is found under the "Vector" menu item - make sure it is activated with a tick under "Plug-ins... Manage Plug-ins...";
    3. Click "Vector... XY tools... Open Excel file as attribute table or point layer";
    4. In dialogue box designate the columns in the spreadsheet that are the X and Y coordinates (Longitude or Easting = X; Latitude or Northing = Y) and click OK;
    5. In the table of contents you will see a new layer called "Temporary Layer (volatile)"  SAVE THIS LAYER (see below - if you don't it will disappear when you close your project);
    6. Right click the temporary layer name and click "Save As..." (remember to set your coordinate system - CRS - easiest if it is the same as "Project CRS");

        This will save your data as an ESRI format shapefile

    7. Tick the "Add saved file to map box in the Save As... dialogue; and
    8. Apply desired symbology to the new layer.

I hope I haven't insulted you with the step by step.  Sometimes its nice
just to have a cookbook for new tasks.

The advantage of this workflow is that you can stick with using a
spreadsheet to organise and store your data.  The XY tools plug-in works
with both MS Excel and Libre Office Calc spreadsheets.  You never have
to worry about converting your data to a text file.  You can make
separate files for each year's data or just keep concatenating new data
onto your spreadsheet and creating an updated shapefile whenever you
want to display the new data.  All of your attributes should be carried
over into the newly created shapefile. Make sure you have a header row
with column headings in the first row of the spreadsheet and no blank
rows in the body of the spreadsheet.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Mike