[Qgis-user] QGis for bird surveys

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Apr 4 23:34:35 PDT 2013

On 05-04-13 08:22, Lynkos wrote:
> I've just tried using the XY tools plug-in, but I get the message:
> "There is a problem with loading a python module which is needed to
> read/write Excel files. Please see documentation/help how to install
> python xlw and xlrd libraries". I've tried following the instructions to
> install the libraries, but to no avail. Once again, I come up against my
> lack of experience and also lack of time to invest in learning. I think
> my best bet for the moment is to adopt the simplest of approaches, using
> a text file which given my limited amount of data should work fine.
> Thanks again to you all and I hope one I'll be able to get down to
> learning some of the basics which would undoubtedly be of great help.

Hi,

easiest way to have a QGIS on windows and be able to install common
python libs needed for QGIS plugins is NOT to use the windows/msi
installer, but the osgeo4w installer. While a little quirky for windows
users, it makes it a lot easier to eg install QGIS with oracle, or gdb
working (AND install the python xlw and xlrd, to make xytools work :-) )

I've written something down here for this:
http://www.qgis.nl/2012/06/20/qgis-installeren-via-osgeo4w/?lang=en

or http://gis-lab.info/qa/qgis-osgeo4w.html

(if you are on Windows7 you have to run the setup.exe as Administrator!)

Which is good readable with Google Translate for everybody:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgis-lab.info%2Fqa%2Fqgis-osgeo4w.html&act=url

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde