[Qgis-user] Problem with intersect polygon and line

Sergio Gollino gollinosergio at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 23:11:38 PST 2013

Hi,
you can't intersect a polygon with a line, it's a topological problem non a
qgis problem. I think the issue is that this kind of intersect will not
create a start/end point so the polygon can't be created (but I'm not sure
about that, maybe someone here can explain it better).

For doing something similar you can make a small buffer around the lines
(a.e.1 meter) and intersect the buffer (polygon) whit the other polygon
layer.

Regards,

Sergio

2013/12/11 Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>

> On 10-12-13 09:28, Cathomen Carli wrote:
> > Hello Forum
> >
> > I am trying out QGIS Dufour and would like to intersect a polygon with a
> line. (Vector -> geoprocessing -> intersect). Unfortunally the result is
> not the as expected(=empty layer). Did anybody face the same issue? Am I
> missing something?
>
> Hi C,
>
> I've been testing here:
> - if I use two polygon layers, it just works as you would think it would
> work
> - if I use it with a line and a polygon (as is your question), it only
> works if I use the line as first input layer and the poly as the second.
> The other way around indeed has an empty result.
>
> if this is still not what you want, plz consider creating a simple
> dataset, with maybe a result or result image you actually want. And
> create an issue in our bugtracker (or ask one of us to do it).
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

Sergio Gollino