[Qgis-user] Oracle - QGIS connection

Jonathan Moules jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Tue Sep 24 09:48:01 PDT 2013

Hi Duarte,
Cunning, I'd not played with the Python console before.

The QGIS path is the same as the system one, though with extra stuff
pre-pended - Oracle is in there just fine:

'c:\Admin\Apps\Progs\QGISDU~1\apps\grass\grass-6.4.3\bin;c:\Admin\Apps\Progs\QGISDU~1\apps\msys\bin;c:\Admin\Apps\Progs\QGISDU~1\bin;
> *c:\admin\apps\oracle32\product\11.2.0\client_1\bin*;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\System32\Wbem;C:\windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program
> Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client;C:\Program Files
> (x86)\ActivIdentity\SecureLogin\;C:\Program
> Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;c:\Admin\Apps\Progs\QGISDU~1\apps\msys\bin;c:\Admin\Apps\Progs\QGISDU~1\apps\Python27\Scripts;c:\Admin\Apps\Progs\QGISDU~1\apps\qgis\bin;c:\Admin\Apps\Progs\QGISDU~1\apps\grass\grass-6.4.3\lib'

Trying TNS ping from within QGIS worked just fine too:

> Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (COMMUNITY = wcctcp.world)
> (PROTOCOL = TCP) (Host = co-gistest-li2) (Port = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SID = gistest) (GLOBAL_NAME = co_gistest.world)))
> OK (0 msec)

----

If I try and "cheat" and change my host from "co_gistest" to the actual
machine name: "co-gistest-li2" - I get back an ORA-12514 instead where it
says it doesn't know of the given host. But if I enter random gibberish it
goes back to a ORA-12154.

Very confusing (but it is Oracle).

Jonathan