[Qgis-user] projection for equal distance in all directions, not equal angle

Dave Kimble dave.kimble at riseup.net
Sat Apr 19 21:41:26 PDT 2014

Up till now I have only looked at small areas, so this problem may not
have been apparent, but now, looking at a "World" shapefile, the screen
image is obviously distorted.

View > Decorations > Grid > X=1 Y=1
gives a square grid pattern, when I was expecting a "rectangular"
pattern - reflecting the length of a degree of Latitude (constant at 60
nautical miles = 111 Km) and the length of a degree of Longitude
(variable - shorter near poles).

I have tried various different CRS selections, and 3 different
shapefiles, but always the same - the screen image appears stretched in
the E-W direction.

Plug-in "Globe" correctly maps the shapefile onto a globe, so it's not
file at fault.

I'm at a loss for vocabulary to describe it properly, or to look it up
in Help.