[Qgis-user] Can Geoserver use the legends of a QGIS project like qgis server

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Apr 25 02:27:10 PDT 2014

Hi Francesco,

>> One thing I would avoid is cascading OWS (WMS/WFS) services. It is
>> better to re-use
>
> Sorry, what you mean about "cascading" and "re-use"?

Sorry - I was side-tracked and did not finish this.

QGIS users in Solothurn (Switzerland) examined the effect of cascading
WMS vs. embedding groups/layers from other QGIS projects. The use-case
is if you have base-map layers that should be defined just once and
re-used in many other thematic projects.

They found out that cascading through WMS is much slower than embedding
QGIS groups/layers directly from other projects.

> Another question: are there any way to build a tiled map by use of QGis
> Server/QWC?
>
> When you talk about Switzerland I think you mean Uster for instance.
> Rendering is fast, do you know which data storage has been used (shp files,
> Postgis, etc...)?

Storage is in Postgis in our case. Most other Swiss QGIS users also use
Postgis as storage (e.g. Kanton Glarus, Kanton Solothurn, some
communities in Lake Geneva region).

There are also some (sorry in german) slides about performance and QGIS
server. It shows that in some cases QGIS server is even better than UMN
mapserver. It depends on configuration and nature of the data. Sometimes
UMN is faster, sometimes Geoserver, sometimes QGIS server ...

http://sourcepole.ch/assets/2013/6/17/fossgis_2013_performanceoptimierte_wms_dienste.pdf

Hope this helps,
Andreas