[Qgis-user] QGIS Server and cascading GetFeatureInfo requests

Peter Len peteralen at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 23 07:27:15 PST 2014

This is a specific follow-on question from an earlier post (QGIS Server a GetFeatureInfo request problems. Not sure what I am missing).  There were several good, and helpful, responses to that posting which has led to wanting to verify a specific capability, or lack thereof.  In the earlier posting, I was having problems getting feature information when I loaded my QGIS project file layers in an OpenLayers client using WMS.  The project file contained layers that were created in QGIS as a WMS service call to our GeoServer, so the route was:

OpenLayers -->  QGIS Server (QGIS Project File) -->   GeoServer -->   PostGIS

Using Firebug, I got the GetFeatureInfo request URL coming from OpenLayers.  When I pasted this directly in the browser, I received the HTML response but it contain no feature info.  I then used a project file where the layers were direct connections to the database:

OpenLayers -->   QGIS Server (QGIS Project File) -->   PostGIS

In this scenario, I was able to get the feature info.  After posting these findings, the response was that QGIS Server was not cascading GetFeatureInfo requests.  Not sure how that exactly works, but it brings up a problem for us and I am looking for a definitive answer to the question of whether QGIS Server can get/send GetFeatureInfo requests on to another server, like GeoServer.

Thoughts?  - Peter