[Qgis-user] CRS and scales

Pat Brown mistyhaven at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 03:31:39 PST 2014

I have two layers (Shp files) which, when I open them, appear to be in two
different projections (I am using QGIS 2.0.1 on Win 7 prof). I have
followed all the instructions to get them to to project the same but they
still will not overlay each other. When I check the CRS for each layer they
are the same. I have set the project CRS to be the same. The only
difference that I can find is that the scales of the two layers are totally
different. The one scale is 1:7397941 and the other is 1:-2147483648 (the
minus sign is correct). This is just too weird. Can anyone explain what is
happening (so I can rectify it myself in future) and how to go about
correcting this to get the right display?

Thanks,

Paddy