[Qgis-user] Converting Vector to Raster; or Digitisation

HPETER784 at aol.com HPETER784 at aol.com
Fri Jan 31 06:56:42 PST 2014

I am a new user of qgis 2.0.1 Dufour.

I have a shapefile of contours sourced from the British Ordnance Survey via
 Stanfords in vector format.  I need the contours to be in Raster form, so
that I can map the altitudes coloured in as  usual, say green for low
levels to brown for higher altitudes.  Also I want to plot the slopes,  which
can only be calculated in Raster format.

I don't think using the rasterising facility will work, since the shapefile
 only recognises the polylines in two dimensions and has no knowledge of
the  altitudes.

I am wondering if I can digitize into a raster shapefile from the vector
map on the computer screen.  But I cannot see how I can do this  exactly.

I suppose this is a common task, but how to do it?  Thanks for  any advice.

Peter  Hutchinson,
MILVERTON,
Taunton
01823 400  272