[Qgis-user] Icons of GRASS tool do not display

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 00:41:49 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 5:22 PM, Patrick Giraudoux
<patrick.giraudoux at univ->>> Must admit I prefer the straight solution
of earlier versions, where a
>>> dialog box permitted easy access to the GRASS mapset that was opened from
>>> icons. Anyway, no choice in the latest version as long as I understand...
>>> Suppose there has been good reasons to do so and that I will discover
>>> them
>>> later :-)
>>
>> The icons and dialogs were removed after discussion in mailing list
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2015-May/037827.html
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2015-May/037828.html
>> There were no voices asking to keep the dialogs.
>>
>> I think that using the browser to add layers is generally accepted and
>> preferred. Try to count clicks to add a layer
>> - dialog: 1 click to open dialog, 1 click to trigger combo box drop
>> down, 1 click to select layer, 1 click to add layer = 4 clicks
>> - browser: 1 double click on the layer
>>

> Theoretically yes, when the file of interest is displayed in the browser.
> Practically, the many clicks are now in the browser through the hierarchical
> structure of the user folders to find out the place where the mapset of
> interest is ;-). Can take a while.

I know, but usually you are working in one mapset, so you have to go
to the mapset just once, then it remains ready for next layer while
the number of clicks with the dialog is always 4. +2 clicks if you
want to add a layer from another mapset. The filter in the browser is
another advantage.

Radim